Thursday, June 12, 2014

"Saltwater 100"

Yay!  I have finally completed my  "Saltwater 100" quilt.  I was inspired to make this quilt from the book City Sampler by Tula Pink.  100 different  blocks was a big undertaking especially since at the time I started this I had only started quilting (piecing) 2 months before.

I thought constructing the 100 blocks would help me learn a lot of quilting techniques and boy, was I correct.  It has only taken me a year to complete this quilt.

I choose to do the entire thing in all 3 color ways of Tula's Saltwater collection.  After finishing 100 blocks I then decided to go with the Gridlock pattern to piece them together.

The backing fabric was purchased at Ihearttulapink.com.  I love Mr. Octo but was not certain I liked the pink Tula Pink signature on it (I thought it was a watermark when I purchased it, so my mistake), so I improvised and covered it with my initial.   I then surrounded Mr. Octo in more blue Octo Garden fabric.

Next, time to quilt!  I spent approximately  12-14 hours on the quilting.  Every block has its own modern theme.  I made waves and water bubbles in the sashing.  I even spent the time to hand bind this quilt (I hate handwork, lol).

I love this quilt!!!  I hope you do as well :)

~Lee













4 comments:

  1. Nice work!! Great blocks, and the quilting is beautiful!

    I have one of those backings, too. I hadn't realized just how big and how pink that logo was (I thought it was a watermark, too....oops!)

    Congratulations on a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have you used your backing yet? Did you leave it as it was or cover it? I would love to see it! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome Ness.........Wow....... I really want to start this book, its on the shelf. this is just great..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt and quilting! I'm curious to know what Longarm machine you use and if you took intensive classes to learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete